Monday, August 26, 2013

Million People March.

Just a little confession: I am not really a rally person. I know I am a polsci student way back in college, and maybe I should be in front when it comes to supporting advocacy and other political issues as well. The last time I joined a rally was when I was in first year, I think that is for charter change. And I am wearing a dress and high heels. (fail.)

Last Sunday night, my fiance is asking me if I can join him since he will be participating in the million people march. Of course I said no, and of course, he bribed me. He said Carrie (Noel's girlfriend) is coming and it would be better if I will join them too. And I still said no. But clingy girlfriend as I am, that night too, I said yes, I am going. Little did I know that yesterday's event will open my eyes to a lot of things, not only because I am a Political Scientist, but because I am a citizen of the country, I am paying my taxes.

So we walked from CUMC to Luneta. We joined John's church mates. I had corn as my breakfast, because as always, I am rushing to make it at 9 in the morning. I was getting irritated already, because it's drizzling, I am sweating because of too much walking, I am hungry and I dislike what I am doing. (at first.)
Yes that is how I look like at first. And yes, my fiance loves candid photos, he loves to see me in my normal slate, which is irritated. :P

But then, when I saw how people, despite their age and social status cried for justice, I know I was moved. I have this heart for old people, and a balut vendor approached us. He is too old to sell balut, but he has to, since he need to live. We had a short chitchat. John's older brother said, "parang uulan." (I think it will rain.) And then the old vendor answered "Hindi uulan yan sir, nakikiisa ang Diyos sa paghingi natin ng hustisya. (No sir it won't rain, God is with us in crying for justice.) And that moment, I realized, I am there for a purpose. Call me OA, but I felt like crying when I heard him say that. Those street vendors are the ones who are greatly affected by what is happening in our country. The thing is, most of the Filipino workers are paying their taxes on time, but there are greedy people who are taking advantage of what they worked hard for. Maybe, this is one of the reasons why it is hard for me to see my payslip seeing my tax deduction. To me it is like, I am paying for other people's luxurious condos, pairs of Loubutins, trip to Paris, etc. And here I am, burning my a** eight hours a day just to live. And how about those less-fortunate people who are struggling to live?




I pity Napoles, and some other people in office who do not care about the sake of others. I pity them more than those people who are doing their best just to eat three times a day. This might be a little dramatic but money is just money. Of course it can bring you happiness at some point, but I say, time will come that your conscience will be your greatest enemy. And when you have spent all the money, it will boils down to... Is it all worth it?

Now I know that someone's presence can make a big difference. This is definitely an eye-opener for me.


No comments:

Post a Comment